The Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Epidemiología y Salud Pública (CIBER of Epidemiology and Public Health, CIBERESP) focuses its activities on two key aspects: knowing the magnitude and distribution of public health issues and identifying the determining factors of those issues in order to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of interventions, whether they are from the realm of public policies or the realm of practical prevention and resolution.
CIBER model, networking research excellence
The Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red (CIBER) is a consortium that depends on the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness). CIBER’s thematic area of Epidemiology and Public Health (CIBERESP) consists of 51 multidisciplinary and multi-centre research groups. The specific purposes of CIBERESP are to:
- Conduct joint research, development and innovation programmes in the line of Epidemiology and Public Health.
- Contribute to solving health care issues related to Epidemiology and Public Health.
- Promote participation in national research activities, and especially in those activities included in the European Framework Programmes for R&D&I.
- Promote transferring results of research processes to society as a whole, and especially to the productive sector.
- Promote the dissemination of its activities and the training of competitive researchers in the field of Epidemiology and Public Health.
The scientific organisational model currently used consists of establishing a training plan and seven research programmes:
- P1. Epidemiology and Control of Chronic Diseases
- P2. Communicable Disease Prevention, Surveillance and Control (PREVICET)
- P3. Biological and Behavioural Determinants in the Contraction and Spread of Communicable Diseases in Vulnerable Populations (DAPET Programme)
- P4. Social Determinants of Health
- P5. Epidemiology and Prevention in connection with Environmental and Occupational Health
- P6. Health Service Evaluation
- P7. Clinical Epidemiology